Tuesday, July 22, 2008

When Lightning Strikes By Meg Cabot


Sophomore Jessica Mastriani is known for her impulsive behavior at school. She's been in detention nearly the entire year because she tends to hit people when they insult those she cares about. She receives yet another week of staying after school because she hits a football player who called her friend Ruth fat, an insult Ruth takes personally.
Instead of driving Jess home as usual, Ruth decides the two should walk to get some exercise. The weather looks ominous. A short distance from the school, the girls are caught in a hail and lightning storm and take refuge under metal bleachers.
As Jess is leaning against the post, lightning strikes and travels through her body, leaving her feeling tingly. Later, she notices a star shaped mark on her chest, which she assumes is the point of where the lightning entered. Other than that there don't seem to be any effects.

But when Jess wakes up the next morning, she realizes she knows the exact locations of two missing children she saw mentioned on the back of a milk carton. Jess can't rest until she calls the phone number '1-800-WHERE-R-U' to report what she knows. At first she is a hero, but when she calls again and tells the people the location of a girl who happened to be buried under a tree, dead, the FBI get involved.

Although on the back of the book it says that she has to choose whether to choose to use her power for good or bad....but that isnt quite true. She actually just has to save a young man that she put in danger by accident, and get out of a Military Base where she and the man she saved were basically being held hostage.

I really enjoyed this book. I think it was writen really well. I wasnt bored while I was reading it. Its just over all a good book. However, after reading the Mediator a while ago, and now reading this book, I noticed that Meg Cabot tends to have a smooth sailing plot and then a climax that happens towards the end of the book, and then it calms within the last 2 chapters or so.

But what she manages to do with both books...they are both a series, and I have only read the first book of the mediator and this book, and I also noticed that Meg Cabot does a good job at leaving you hanging and wanting to read the next book aswell...I also think that is very good :D

I recently started thinking that I was kind of over Meg Cabot, and that her writing was no doubt amazing, but I hadnt read her books. But I realized that even if your into reading older books, these two series are amazing to read at any age. There fun too :)

Anyway, hopefully you get what I'm trying to say...hehe,
Rachel<3

4 Comments:

dd said...

Whoa, I've heard of this book and everything but I didn't really know what it was about! It sounds really interesting actually! =) I think I might pick it up from the library soon coz your review really makes me want to read it! =D
I just read this article on AOL about the risks of being an impulsive person:

"Have trouble restraining yourself from spur-of-the-moment urges? You are at a higher risk for stomach ulcers. A study of over 4,500 people done by the Finnish Institute of Occupational Health found that impulsive people were at 2.4 times greater risk for ulcers than those who did not have an impulsive personality. The cause may be a higher rate of acid production by these personality types, which in turn, triggers peptic ulcers. "

Lol, I really liked the one about agressive people:
"They tested the healing times of wounds on healthy individuals and found that in four days 70 percent of the calm patients' wounds healed, compared to only 30 percent of the angry types."

~Lucy D =)

addicted reader said...

Hey! I am reading this right now, and i love it!!!

Come visit my blog at reviewabook123.blogspot.com!

I would love to do a link exchange if you visit my blog!!

YA Book Realm said...

I read this book a while ago, and it's my favorite book series from MEg Cabot (and then the Mediators series.) Great Review!

addicted reader said...

Lol, I just posted the review today! lol I really enjoyed it to!